Sunday, March 24, 2013

Surgery- Closed/Open Reduction


The time has arrived for our daughter's surgery.  We are just as nervous as any other loving parent would be.  Surgery and anesthesia carry risks, which no caring parent would wish upon their child.  We have done our best with what was within our control and must have faith in her surgeon's hands and decisions tomorrow.

This weekend has centered on lagging preparations and comfort measures.  Shopping is complete and a hospital bag is packed with supplies for Hip Chick and me.  Scottish Rite allows only one parent to stay overnight with each child, so I will sleep at the hospital.  Current plan is for a two day stay.  Should the best of best case scenarios occur, she may discharge tomorrow evening.  Should the surgery take a more serious turn than hoped, however, her stay could extend.  We are packed for up to a three day admission.

We are fortunate in that we live within a reasonable driving distance of Scottish Rite.  For families who live further away, there are lodging resources, such as the Ronald McDonald house, and nearby hotels.  Scottish Rite also has an on site cafe and a laundry center for parents to use (bring your own detergent).  I ensured to tuck extra cash in my purse, should I need a late night vending machine visit to nurse insomnia.

Scottish Rite requests that siblings and other young relatives or friends remain at home.  My husband and I will be the only two allowed in the day surgery area when we admit around 5am tomorrow.  She will be given "goofy juice" to enable a low stress transfer to the operating room around 7:30am.  Her surgery will be no shorter than 1.5 hrs and, of course, time will compound if they must transition to the open hip surgery.  Adult visitors will be allowed sometime after she transfers out of the OR and awakes from anesthesia.

Today we have been playing with the Care Bear pictured above.  With a bandage on his knee and thumping heart, he speaks about going to the doctor when you squeeze his limbs or give him a hug.  Yesterday, she demanded that we remove Purple Teddy's leg bandages (see my Sunshiny Day post for prior reference), so the Care Bear is her current sympathizer.  As when I prepared her for her taping, I have been showing her photos of young children in spica casts today.  There are a wealth of images to draw from via the link here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=toddler+spica+cast+photos&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zOo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1R1PUYLKO6zyyAHAmYGIAQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=598

I found the following links easiest to show her:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiJlPw9AlaunOEJUR2XxUFLF6DdAmwXXGH-r9hoRSMoHO2mmOKVbEks3OAf5x1WfAnGWpCo8VJSOzAdLvSyYHkuG491UKrEoKEactAiayocmwWwYXm-vEXNj5fVoh_s3SgHctCf8rKRR9pn/s1600/lastcast.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi9GwPmddI3x0Kn7nCX9rj7VjboPN5CdZBohCM0vG7K7kBoeT1__TalXznrAC2fR7oyfHdeMLiS0i3AkfDsZqfATdlMftYJAL5ndVZeE75k8_f1aCmqxKf4rQ0moWY4crmaVhEikEtetMA/s1600/new+pink+spica.JPG

Hopefully, as with the taping, she receives the images with some level of understanding. 


I had wanted to treat our hippie to a picnic this weekend, but weather thwarted my plans.  Instead, I focused on comfort.  Each person has their own catharsis and long before I took up blogging, I have emoted through cooking.  So, I indulged in a bit of meaningful meal planning.  Call it superstition.  Call it silly.  Call it juvenile.  Perhaps I watched the movie Like Water for Chocolate once too many during my young adulthood.  But parents do funny things when they cannot shield their children from adversity.

Last night, I served our family's favorite meatballs.  I used bison and turkey meats, combined with fresh garlic and plenty of herbs, and served them with a florentine sauce.  I served buffalo in hopes that she will be strong and the herbs, garlic, and vegetables to wish her health.

This morning, I pulled together the cinnamon blueberry oatmeal bake pictured above.  The first time she returned home from daycare with a nasty bite from a classmate, I made this recipe.  I served it to her this morning in hopes that her pain will not be too great.

For lunch, she will indulge in her favorite meal- macaroni and cheese.  I always stir in steamed vegetables for a nutritional kick, but today's mac & cheese is in hopes that she will easily find comfort.

My next blog will be post surgery.  I hope there is positive news to share and celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment