Monday, July 1, 2013

Petrie Cast Angst


I had anticipated that my next post would be a sunny recant of positive progression, including a return to daycare today.  I expected to refer to Big Sister's recent insight to having a sister with special needs.  And these will come.  

However...

Upon picking Hip Chick up from her first day in daycare with the petrie, I was met with upsetting news:  the bar connecting her shins has a weak spot.  The photo above is of the location where the bar has become wobbly... and it is wobbly on the same side as her bad hip.

Sigh.

We called Scottish Rite and were advised by the on call physician that she needs to be seen tomorrow.  An xray is needed to ensure her hip has not become unstable or begun to sublux.  Pending good news, her cast can be reinforced and we continue along her current plan.  And bad news?

Late last month, our family watched a "North America" nature special.  Part of this program featured an awe-inspiring detail of a mother falcon, aggressively combating larger birds and snakes to defend her nest.  It was at this time that our Pink Princess asked whether I could be  that falcon.  

Tonight, I wish I was that falcon.  I wish I could fight hip dysplasia with talons, screeches, and dive bombs.  Everything has progressed according to plan thus far, so logical thought would rally us for taking a proactive approach and calling when the wobbly cast is only a week old.  Tomorrow will give us new insight, but that does not quell Mommy's angst for tonight.

In the meantime...

Big Sis recently returned to her mother's home after a two week stay at ours.  I treated her to a movie on Saturday, for some "big girl" time.  During our drive I asked her whether it has been hard on her these past few months, having a sister with special needs due to a bad hip.  I asked what she has learned.  She responded by telling me that she feels protective over her little sister, especially when we go to restaurants.  She said that she sees people staring at her little sister and it makes her upset.  

I took this as a teaching moment and advised her to remember that feeling when she sees other families in public like ours.  I advised her not to stare at other people with special problems.  But she seemed to exceed me in insight that day.  A good lesson, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment