Thursday, June 27, 2013

Independent Play, Charlie Banana, and Sleeping Position


Today we began working on independent play.  For a few minutes at a time, Hip Chick would stand at our coffee table and play with her Little People sets.  Her legs would tremble and wobble once they became taxed.  Aside from snapping this photo, I remained close behind her, so she could fall back when her strength gave out.  

So far, she can sit up by herself and stand for brief periods of time.  She begs to walk.  It is very painful for Mommy and Daddy's bad backs, but enable her to the best of our ability.  To "walk," I will place my hands on her waist while she leans on my arms.  Then, I help her swing her legs back and forth.  It makes her so happy!


Hip Chick's new cast has presented a fresh fashion dilemma: how to protect her diaper area and hips without the ability to use leggings, pants, or shorts?  Enter the Charlie Banana line of reusable diapers.  I found some on sale for half price at my local Target today.  I removed the absorbant padding, layered one over her regular diaper, and... voila!  Petrie cast bloomers.  They are ideal because they snap together on the sides (no feeble "no sew" attempts by Mommy to convert other clothing) and are available in a number of solid colors.  I had already snapped a white pair onto her prior to the photo above.

Lastly, we had to make sleeping adjustments for our daughter to accommodate the new cast.  Her surgeon drew attention to the tightness of her quadriceps with the new cast position.  To prevent undue stress on these muscles, he recommended she initially sleep on her back, with her cast supported by a pillow.  After a few days of this, our daughter finally begged to sleep on her stomach- she loves to sleep in that position.  As tonight was her fourth night in the petrie cast, I relented... and she quickly requested I switch her to her back.  It seems that her quads are still a bit too inflexible from her time in the spica.  I have high hopes it will resolve soon, though... I have come to learn that each progression is just a phase and can be overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment