Saturday, May 11, 2013

Date Night


Recently, my husband and I went on our first date night in three months.  While this blog focuses on our daughter's DDH journey, this event was certainly worth noting.  It must be difficult for parents of any child in a special needs situation to take time for themselves. We can be thankful that our daughter's special needs have hope of resolution or, at worst, come in (long) intervals.  

Some people have seemed surprised that we allowed such a long period of time pass before a date night.  For us, Bryant's Traction was such a significant, once-in-a-lifetime event that it seemed inappropriate to go out during that time.  And we felt it best that we manage her care immediately after surgery and in her first cast between ourselves and the daycare.  As mentioned in a prior post, now is the time for us to begin letting go a little.  Big kudos to my husband for pushing me to take that first step and to my sister for taking the reigns that night.


We began our night with scrumptious burgers at a local restaurant, Hopdoddy Burger Bar.  We recently learned that Hopdoddy is donating a portion of all May sales to Scottish Rite and couldn't resist the opportunity to give back to the people who are giving so much to our daughter.  



We then drove to our local House of Blues for a long-anticipated concert.  Either luck was on our side, or our appearance screamed "brow beaten parents dressed up for a much needed night out," as we were pulled out of line by a staff member and offered entrance to their "members-only" club for a cocktail and relaxation.  Soon, we connected with old friends and enjoyed a night of music together.



I had my "slightly neurotic mom" cap on and texted a few times, but Hip Chick and her aunt had a fun night and our hippie was cooperative at bedtime.

Success!  While we do not anticipate many nights out in the near future, we hope this opens the door for a few more date nights in the coming months.  Mommy and Daddy are worn and need TLC, too.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that I had the chance to babysit Syd while you and Brian could get a night out! I'm sure you already know, but if I'm ever needed you know I'm always around.

    Love you all!

    Aunt Lala

    ReplyDelete