Wednesday, April 24, 2013

60 Days Down...


It is an important day!  Today marks the end of our daughter's first 30 days in her cast and her first 60 days of lost mobility.  Today also marks a one month countdown to her second birthday.  One month...

  Some people sacrifice their hunger for a religious holiday- a single day.  Others, select a habit or indulgence to sacrifice for 40 days.  These sacrifices make some people moody, cranky, or unpleasant to be around.  What would you do after 30 days of being crippled?  60 days of lost mobility?  

I ask because the "novelty" (if this term is remotely appropriate) of life in a spica cast is wearing thin for Hip Chick and so is her patience.  We had hoped this could be limited to familial interactions, but we received our first indication that this has expanded to daycare today.  Her teachers relayed signs of frustration that she cannot do all that the other kids can.  

I have felt that my mother's bag of resourceful tricks has become shallow as of late.  Without many creative ideas clammoring for introduction, I thought that perhaps she would find solace in extra one-on-one time with Mommy.  I pulled a few favored books tonight for storytime.  We solved some puzzles together.  We cuddled and watched a favorite cartoon.  Ultimately, I realize that much of our daughter's outcome will depend on her personal coping abilities.  I hope that a calming presence by Mommy and Daddy will help to settle her angst.

Meanwhile, she has seven days left in daycare until her next OR date.  Perhaps being out for a couple of days will help refresh her outlook.  For now, we continue to search for opportunities to take her out into public for new experiences.  We hope that her young coping mechanisms aid her until her upcoming OR appointment.

2 comments:

  1. I find myself about to be in your shoes and I want to say these words to you now so I can remind myself of them when they aren't what I want to hear. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Chelsea. It helps to have camaraderie with other "hip" parents. We just have to approach each day with hopes that it can be a little better than the prior one. Today was a better day. I will have your little one in my prayers- the anticipation leading up to the surgery is the worst. When you are called to your child in post-op, it immediately feels better- just to see them on the other side.

    ReplyDelete